Training: Correl Freehand

Moderator: Kalzel Gryjiss

Calgor Grim
Krath Paladin
Krath Paladin

Re: Training: Correl Freehand

Post by Calgor Grim »

Realise that a Wookie is probably more than a match for a humans strength. I will accept that this one may not be entirely up to par though. I'm finding your style a little difficult to keep track of though, identifying who did what, said whatever and thought what. I gather though that you have somehow attempted to lock the giant fur ball in a leg lock against his arms somehow from the front and in the fray ended up kicking him in the stomach enough to fell him.

Remember to consider what you are up against. Take a look at their stats and use that to consider your responses to various actions. I will however, opt to let you proceed since while the wording is convoluted, the meaning was clear enough for me to understand. I have seen some good examples of good combat roleplay from yourself in other settings so overall, you get a do-over. Next stage, actions and light combat.

Light combat and action 101 - A.K.A. How to not get your head smashed in by a GM. Here, NPCs are entirely under the command of the trainer (me!) You will be reacting to their attacks, some may hit and some may miss. I want to see how you take hits and inflict them in various situations. Be creative, use your scenery...since you are part of the Order, I will be throwing out the usual training examples and tailor it.

You are currently aboard a BFF bulk freighter bound for Demonsgate accompanied by a small group of would-be converts to the Order. Many of whom have mixed backgrounds and races but all of them sound willing to join the cause of Krath. You are currently engaged in a sermon with the group, discussing to them and attempting to explain more about Krath. You have been freely provided with clerics robes and ceremonial staff for this need. Meanwhile the room itself is a very makeshift chapel, one of the cargo segments converted into a place of worship. Provide me with a few lines of dialogue and then I'll raise the game a little. You have free choice on what NPCs are down there but their control is in my hands.
Corbin Freehand

Post by Corbin Freehand »

Feeling a little out of place with the new robes and the stick in hand which everyone was calling a ceremonial staff. Correl looks around the BFF and wondered if he had made the right choice about Krath. The sermons he had heard about Krath were interesting to him because it was knowledge and learning that interested him the most. There were various other species here as well looking to find Krath in their own way.

“Following Krath is also following your heart.” Correl interjects into the current conversation about what it is to be of Krath and to follow the teachings Krath. He knew that there were those in the ship that believed differently and wished that he could be else where contemplating on that very nature of why it 'feels' right to be a part of Krath. That or reading one of the history texts of Krath to know it better. “Knowledge is good and all but also knowledge of self is better, don't you think?” Correl pointed out to the group he had been closest to.

With that said Correl moved off to the side of the cargo bay area. He saw a type seat off to the side of all the groups to sit and think over his decision to join on his own. Hoping also to sit quietly without having a group decide to come over and discuss Krath with him and what it meant. To him faith and religion had always been separate.

Hopefully by the end of this trip to Demonsgate it will help with his decision to join. Also, hoping it would help all of all of those gathered here to understand what it was that brought them to join the Order. Correl was thinking to himself while looking around at all the other fresh faces and groups disseminating on what it is to be a follower of Krath.
Calgor Grim
Krath Paladin
Krath Paladin

Post by Calgor Grim »

"Preposterous nonsense!" exclaimed the human from the back, a small murmor of silence fell through the crowd. Striding through the parting group, he approached the Cleric, eyes full of determination and hatred, his face showing some age and scarring, his left eye looked missing, replaced with a small dark patch. The man was dressed in darkened raglike clothes, draped over his body showing no obvious markings, just dirt and patches. He stood, glaring at Correl, hands out of sight under his robe.

"Your religion is nothing more than a cult, a bastardised belief bolted together from failed Sith apprentices. At least those had the strength of will and might to follow the right path. Do not believe this man and his foolish words. If your god were so mighty, maybe he would protect you from this!"

He charged forth, during the approach drawing a small knife out from under his robes, holding it out in front as the man drew close. Meanwhile the crowd, shocked by the events, backed away. Watching to see how things would unfold.

Your move. Whether he hits or misses is entirely up to you. Basically just react how you actually would if someone dropped you in this mess.
Corbin Freehand

“Preposterous! Nonsense!” Exclaimed a human from the back, as a small murmur of silence fell through the crowd. Striding through the parting group, as he approached Correl, his eyes were full of determination and hatred, his face showed some age and scarring, his left eye had a dark patch covering it. The man was dressed in a dark colored rag like cloth draped over his body. There were no obvious markings, just dirt and patches. He stood glaring at Correl, his hands were out of sight under his robes.

"Your religion is nothing more than a cult, a bastardised belief bolted together from failed Sith apprentices. At least those had the strength of will and might to follow the right path. Do not believe this man and his foolish words. If your god were so mighty, maybe he would protect you from this!"

As he said this he charged forward, drawing a knife from under his robes and holding it out in front of himself as he drew near. Meanwhile the crowd, shocked by the events, backed away. They watched to see how things would unfold.

Upon seeing the man come forward Correl took a defensive stance and waited with both hands on the ceremonial staff. He watched for the tell tales that he was told to look for in an aggressive opponent. He watched the mans eyes for the signs while he was spouting his words and saw the movements even before the man moved.

As the man charged Correl stepped back and brought the ceremonial staff close in and waited till he could move to the side away from the knife that appeared in the man's hand. He knew this was a dangerous thing to try, but his teacher also said it would be best against knife or sword wielders. So he waited till the last instant hoping the man fell for the mock fear showing on his face as he was instructed to show. Which was not hard as he was a bit frightened as the man did outweigh him by a large margin.

Just as the man was close enough to not be able to change direction Correl spun out backwards and away from the knife hand, leaving the ceremonial staff right in the foot path of the man in the hopes it would act as a trip and keep the knife away from his body. Feeling the staff take a jolt Correl finished the spin as he was trained and turned with it back in both hands. Only then did he notice the man had just barely managed to miss tripping, but was off-balance enough to use the end of the staff to push him in the stomach area and hopefully back him up against the wall with less area to move.

“Sir, we are all here to learn of the ways of Krath. Sometimes it is with aggression, and sometimes with peace. But do not mistake my keeping away from you as not willing to harm you to keep myself and others safe.” Correl tells the man in a hard cold voice while brandishing his ceremonial staff defensively in front of him. “What I would like to know is why you singled me out for this affront? I have done nothing to you, nor has any other that I could see. Yet you assault one of us who has done nothing to you.”

Correl watches and waits hoping that some semblance of normalcy enters the mans eyes soon. As he does not want to hurt the man badly. In an even colder voice Correl states,”So please, be kind enough to stand down before I do have to hurt you more than your pride or anger will tolerate. And if you so choose to continue with this I will not hesitate to end your anger as quickly as possible, and you will know Krath personally at that point.”

Correl waits patiently for the man's response also while making sure there is a safe distance around himself as well.
Last edited by Corbin Freehand on September 29th, 2012, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calgor Grim
Krath Paladin
Krath Paladin

Post by Calgor Grim »

Correl Freehand wrote:Just as the man was close enough to not be able to change direction Correl spun out backwards and away from the knife hand, leaving the ceremonial staff right in the foot path of the man in the hopes it would act as a trip and keep the knife away from his body. Feeling the staff take a jolt Correl finished the spin as he was trained and turned with it back in both hands. Only then did he notice the man had just barely managed to miss tripping, but was off-balance enough to use the end of the staff to push him in the stomach area and hopefully back him up against the wall with less area to move.

Remember this is moderated scenarios. In these situations, you have no control over my reactions as an NPC and cannot state if you throw me off balance. All you can control is that my swing either hits or misses due to the reaction times of Mr Freehand. Pedantic maybe but this is why it is called moderated combat. In most circumstances you would have relative freedom to determine the outcome to NPCs you engage but in this type of situation, you dont. Sorry.

Additionally you are not required or expected to copy the entirity of my last correspondance into your reply. Please make the amendments accordingly.
Corbin Freehand

Ah Okay so basically I should have ended it where I spun away. Leaving it suspended and then waited for the second part to be played out...sigh.
Calgor Grim
Krath Paladin
Krath Paladin

Post by Calgor Grim »

Hey, I dont make the rules I'm just the chap who is following them.
Calgor Grim
Krath Paladin
Krath Paladin

Post by Calgor Grim »

The man lunged forward, knife outstretched as he went for a lunge, blade piercing through nought but air. In his fury, expecting to hit a solid target, he had missed and thrown himself off balance, stumbling forward onto the staff which sent him tumbling, face first into the floor with a dull thud, blade still in his grasp. Grumbling and complaining he rolled over swiftly to face the cleric, face slightly dirtied from the floor.

"I shall not be foiled by the likes of you, a modicum of skill indeed but not enough to prove superior" he spat, swiftly moving to grab his knife, preparing to throw.
Corbin Freehand

Coming out of the backspin and grabbing up his staff Correl realizes his teacher was correct on the movement to get away from knife wielders using a staff or stick of some kind. As the man rises he says something but Correl is focused on the knife still as that is the greater threat. Seeing it being readied to throw he sets himself for the flying knife. Hoping he can either deflect it harmlessly away or duck it enough to not get hit.

A distraction! That is what I need now. Correl thinks to himself in the hopes that someone will clock the man from behind enough to allow others to subdue the man peacefully. Seeing no help coming Correl decides to make his own distraction.

“Sir, we are all here for Krath, why are you persistently and aggressively attacking me a lowly initiate?” Correl demands questioningly hoping also to distract the big man enough to get some help from the gathering if any is forthcoming.

If only I had the force this would not be going for so long or even be a problem. Correl laments to himself while preparing to accept the knife throw that will be coming his way shortly.
Calgor Grim
Krath Paladin
Krath Paladin

Post by Calgor Grim »

"Because...you speak lies, you speak words of a man blinded by cult. There is no Krath, it is all a myth" he continued to protest. Blade in hand he was about to raise it and hurl when another spoke from across the room, interrupting his blind fury

"The cleric speaks logic and reason...it is some truth you must admit." A second figure stepped forth, hooded, lowering it to reveal a slightly scarred but otherwise aged human face. Male, whisps of grey in his hair he stood forth to address the cleric and the assailant. "And I believe that he speaks with conviction and an understanding of purpose. He is being benevolent for not striking you down, speak that way about a Sith and you would find yourself lying on the ground in agony. The cleric has skill and could have done far worse and yet there he stands over you allowing you to consider your next action."