Training: Correl Freehand

Moderator: Kalzel Gryjiss

Ganner Groundrunner

Training: Correl Freehand

Post by Ganner Groundrunner »

Blue is my Game Master (GM) voice. Please consider everything said in blue to be Out-Of-Character (OOC).

Before we start training, I would like you to post your character background story. Go into as much detail as you like. This is very important, because every character in the Combine needs to know where they come from, and what type of person they are. Once you have posted your background, we will proceed with your training.
Corbin Freehand

Re: Training: Correl Freehand

Post by Corbin Freehand »

This is not yet fully complete for a reason as his history is being hidden from him and others. so that he does not know about his family. Here is what he knows and can be written. Yes I am leaving this open so that more can be added to the back story, similar to Luke and Leia but very different, and yes I do have an idea for it, but want to finish it up a bit more.

Growing up on the farms outside of Mos Espa he has learned to make do and to make things that he could sell at the markets. Little trinkets to bring in some extra credits. He also found an old music box that his uncle had and found some things on it that he could make music with as well. He found that he was very good at making the music. He took this in to the local tavern and found others that like the soothing sound as well.
His parents were very proud of his industriousness, but also cautioned him to keep at his studies if he wanted to better himself instead of being a farmer. They have always tried to get him to have a well rounded education so that he would not be taken advantage of. He enjoyed learning just to learn. So doing his studies was not a chore for him, except when it interfered with what he was working on to make some extra credits.
He also found one day very early while playing one of the games at the tavern that he was fairly good at piloting as well. When he got home he asked his parents about trying out for that. They asked if he would add that onto his other studies, which meant that he would have to stop making the trinkets and music to do the piloting. They also asked him to take some time to think about that first.
He has also seen both sides of the conflicts and has come to the conclusion that both are right and yet both are wrong as well. Some of what each does is the right thing, yet they go too far sometimes in their direction. He has always been thought strange because of his views.
He is also a young man on the rise to be the best pilot as it is what he knows and is very good at. His instructors have seen that he has gotten some of the best training they can give on their limited equipment.
He has also made a few deals to get a new ship for himself, which he is on the way to pick up and return home, or to what will be his new home.
Ganner Groundrunner

I think you are off to a good start with the background story. One thing id like for you to do though is to go back and look at your tenses. We strongly recommend using past tense, third person. This means telling the "story" as though it has already happened and told by someone other than the character.

Example, you wrote:

...outside of Mos Espa he has learned... it should read as ...outside of Mos Espa he had learned...
and

...They have always tried... it should read ...They had always tried...

These are two examples. They are some odd sentence structures, but nothing that would really keep someone from understanding your post. Is English not your native language?

What id like is for you to go back and see if you can pick out the times where this tense issue is, and correct them. Let me know when you have looked it over and edit it and we can continue from there. So far I am liking the story, and would like to see it unfold. :)
Corbin Freehand

Yes English is my first and only language. I wrote this when half asleep. And no I am not much of a writer, more so for poetry. For me this is a new venture into actual writing. So bear with me. I have edited this but might have missed a few points, let me know where. spelling and structure should be good now.

Growing up on the farms outside of Mos Espa he had learned to make do with the things he could make and sell at the markets. The little trinkets he made brought in some extra credits for himself. He had also found an old music box that his uncle had. It had some programs on it that he could make music with as well listen to other music. After a time when he felt his musical creations were good enough, he took his songs to the local tavern and found others that liked the soothing sounds as well.
His parents were very proud of his industriousness, but also cautioned him to keep at his studies if he wanted to better himself, instead of being a farmer. They had always tried to get him to have a well rounded education so that he would not be taken advantage by the wrong types. He enjoyed learning just to learn. So doing his studies was not a chore for him, except when it interfered with what he was doing to make some extra credits.
He also found one day very early while playing one of the games at the tavern that he was fairly good at piloting. When he had gotten home that evening he asked his parents about trying out for being a pilot. They had asked if he would add that onto his other studies. It would mean he would have to stop making the trinkets and music to take the piloting classes. He knew he had to make that choice for himself. They also asked him to take some time to think about that first before choosing.
In the galactic conflicts news he had seen and what they fought for he had come to the conclusion on his own that both ways were right and yet both were wrong. Some of what each did was the right thing, yet they would go too far sometimes in that direction. With his views of the galaxy the way they were, he had always been thought strange because of his views by everyone.
He was also a young man on the rise to be the best pilot his instructors had seen in a long time. They saw to it that he had gotten some of the best training they could give on their limited equipment. His proudest day was getting his piloting license. The second proudest day was getting a ship to call his own. He had made a few deals to get a new ship for himself with the savings he had from what he had sold. He is now on his way to pick up his ship.
Ganner Groundrunner

Much better. As we move along also, what id like for you to work on is letting me know what your character is seeing and feeling. Le t me in on the emotions that run through him and the setting that makes him who he is. Use the descriptive nature of writing to convey these thoughts, and feeling. With the background in poetry, id think maybe this would be a nice avenue to be creative. Nothing too fancy that the story gets lost in it... but you always want the reader to know whats going on with Correl. What hes thinking and feeling and seeing and doing. Also look to give visual descriptions to illustrate what is seen. Not only by Correl, but possibly others. Dont forget to describe to describe what your character looks like to others as well. Paint the unseen picture in people's minds. (I feel already im using this term alot in my RP teachings :P )

Moving on then.

. . . . .

The training consists of a number of situations for you to react to. Unless otherwise stated, these situations do not follow on from one to the next. You will be told what are you are expected to focus on in which section.

In Description and Tone, you must focus entirely on the describing the scene set before you and establishing a tone to the area. Do not worry about combat just yet.

You have landed at the spaceport of a planet in the outer rim that reminds you vaguely of home. It is not too special but it has a lot of people, and for the most part they seem friendly enough. You can hear the sounds of an outdoor market from not too far away, and you notice a grouping of large tents off to the south. There is a sign next to the tents but you can't read it from here. You realize you are hungry as the smells of food reach you from the market and you can only conclude that there are the usual array of bars, restaurants and food vendors in the small town around the spaceport.
Corbin Freehand

((It may seem that way to you, but for those of us just learning it is an important thing to know. I say make it a mantra that way it's set so you don't have to worry about it being said so much.))

Finally planet side again and no more canned air! He thought to himself.

Breathing in the air of an atmosphere from any planet was always preferable to days or even weeks of breathing what amounts to recycled air on board ship.

Once the airlock opened he breathed in deeply of the fresh air. He got a whiff of freshly cooked food along with the smell of people, animals, and machines all mingled together. Which made him cough after so long being inside a ship.

This is no Mos Espa. He thought to himself.

As he looked around he noticed some tents off to the south and wondered what they were there for, but food seemed to be the order for the day for his body. Even as curious as he was about the tents, instead he headed for the smell of food first by following the those that had a pleasing smell to him. On his way to find food he passed vendors of all types, selling everything from little jewelry type trinkets to furniture for all occasions. There were even booths for the sale of animals and people. But on seeing that he moved quickly past them to the find the food areas. Once at the food area he was lost again in the amount and type of food there was. While searching for food he found one that sold what appeared to be small sandwiches with some meat and vegetables with some local sauces on it. He ordered the sandwich and some local sweet drink as well.

After taking a few bites he did start to notice his surroundings much more. Especially the people who seemed to be from just about every part of the galaxy. There were several races here some wearing rich clothing and others in many different uniforms. Some of the uniforms he had seen had him worried. Thankfully he had left his identifiable clothing back on the ship.

Still the tents he remembered were interesting in all the structured buildings. So he wandered back through the bazaar. Which was what he had walked through to get to the food places. This time through he noticed a lot of local items of clothing and trinkets. On seeing some of these trinkets it reminds him of what he did back home to earn some credits. He bought a couple to help out the local craftsmen. He had to almost shout to be heard over the rest of the sounds of the bazaar. While he haggled for the items he asked each shop keeper about the tents. They professed to not know who or what was there, which made him more curious about them. After getting far enough away from the bazaar area he took a moment to make sure everything was secure on his person. He then walked slowly towards the tents still unable to see what was written on the sign.
Ganner Groundrunner

That looks pretty good. I like your use of the curiosity angle. There could be more description as to how things looked to you, and how your character would look to others, all part of the picture for the readers. Aside from that, a very good post, and I think you are fine to start developing a separate character development thread, or backstory etc. as you were asking about.

. . . . .

It's always good to fully describe an area if you're the first one there - it lets other people see the same area you do and helps interaction. It's also an aid to roleplaying in that people can react better to different environments - characters used to fine restaurants can look down their noses at a seedy bar, and people used to the seedy bar might be a little intimidated and out of place in a fine restaurant.

Next will come Player Character (PC) interaction. You are to assume that the Trainers character is an old friend, and react to them accordingly. Remember that you can not control the actions of other PCs.

You are at the bar, ordering another drink when your old friend Jorax Knell, an aging Arconan, approaches you and attempts to slap you on the back.

"Hey, buddy, I didn't expect to see you here. How have you been?"
Corbin Freehand

“Damn! This is going to be another long search!” Correl thought to himself. “I hope the information was wrong.” As he takes another sip of his local brew.

While standing at the bar was not the best thing to do. It did have one feature most took for granted, the mirrors behind the bar. Even though your back was to the room you could watch the room without looking like you were. It also allowed one a look at themselves as well. He did not like what he saw in the mirrors. He looked poor and he smelled badly enough to have people move away from him even here. Which was bad in a bar like this where the cleanest smell was from the few Wookies here. He would be glad to be back on his ship and clean. His hair was a mess of tangles that needed to be brushed badly. He really needed to shave the 5 days worth of beard showing, because the itching was driving him crazy. In general he looked tired and worn out from the work that he had been doing lately. If not for his work others could be harmed, and that he could not stand for, so he did the work without complaint.

In the time that he had been on planet and looking for answers. He had found that an old friend was right in the middle of it. He was afraid that this old friend might have done something that he couldn't help him get out of. What was worse is that his friend might be doing the same as he was and searching for answers. He just didn't know until he found out for himself how deep his friend was in.

Spotting his friend walking toward him he decided to surprise his friend. Waiting right until Jorax was about to pat him on the back. He spun around to catch the hand and smile. Also hoping the information he had learned was wrong about his friend as well.

"Hey, buddy, I didn't expect to see you here. How have you been?"

Correl smiles seeing no reaction from his friend at all.

"Oh well didn't hurt to try and surprise the rat!" He thought to himself.

“Me either old friend. And just what are you doing here? I thought you were off at some race or other around the galaxy.” Correls' voice drips with sarcasm, knowing his friend well enough to know there is a story behind seeing him here.

“Jorax, I have a booth over here. How about we sit down and “talk” a while. Especially about the “troubles” we have been in.” Stressing their old code words they used to use, and hoping Jorax remembers them. He motions to a booth in the back areas and waits for his friends response.
Ganner Groundrunner

Very nice. One thing, you thoughts to yourself, while correct in being italicized, should not be in quotations (") Otherwise, a very nice post. You perhaps could have described the bar a bit more...but this section is more about the NPC interaction, in which you did well.

There was once tense issue I saw as well, minor but something to always keep an eye on

...Stressing their old code words they used to use, and hoping Jorax remembers them. He motions to a booth in the back areas and waits for his friends response.

. . . . .

As Jorax was about to slap his old friend on the back, Correl spun and grabbed the Arconan's hand before it could hit.

“Me either old friend. And just what are you doing here? I thought you were off at some race or other around the galaxy.” Correls' voice drips with sarcasm, knowing his friend well enough to know there is a story behind seeing him here.

“Jorax, I have a booth over here. How about we sit down and “talk” a while. Especially about the “troubles” we have been in.” Stressing their old code words they used to use, and hoping Jorax remembers them. He motions to a booth in the back areas and waits for his friends response.

Recognizing the coded terms Correl was using, Jorax knew this was no pleasure trip. He truely was curious now what had led him here to this backwater system.

"Sure buddy, lets go talk and reminisce about the good ole days." Jorax's golden eyes scanned the bar. "Lead the way, my friend, and tell me what's on your mind."
Corbin Freehand

Recognizing the coded terms Correl was using, Jorax knew this was no pleasure trip. He truly was curious now what had led him here to this backwater system.

"Sure buddy, lets go talk and reminisce about the good ole days." Jorax's golden eyes scanned the bar. "Lead the way, my friend, and tell me what's on your mind."

Seeing his old friend brought back a flood of memories of both of them getting into and out of trouble together. Some more painful that others, and some the most fun he had ever had growing up.

By the gods! I hope the information was wrong about him! He thought to himself.

Keeping his mind on the business at hand.Hhe knew for sure that trouble was following him if Jorax had found him. He had either been found out or Jorax was looking for him. Hopefully not both at the same time, which would mean that Jorax was who he was supposed to find. It also meant that there were way too many complications to try and figure out on his own.

Looking around making sure this booth was clear, all he saw were some Rodians playing at dice across the room, and some Wookies eating a meal of some kind near the door. Being careful to not arouse his friends suspicions he pulled out one of their old “white noise” devices that allowed them to talk without being heard by electronic or normal hearing. Although what worried him were the Wookies. He had found that they could hear through it.

Talking as quietly as he could to Jorax, he asked,”I know there are no "Races" anywhere near this system. Question One: What brings you here? And question Two: I would like to help you, but I know you might be in deep enough that me showing up would not be a good thing for you and if so, what else could I help with? You know me, I always was against those who oppressed others, or made slaves of them. I am hoping you are not the one I was sent to find. As that would not be good for me, you know.” He paused for breath while he watched his friend closely for any reaction he can remember.

Just then, the bartender came up and asked in a bottom of the barrel voice,”Drinks for ya? Or food ya want?” He stood there and waited for the order.

“Arconan wine, thank you.” He replied quickly as he glanced at his friend to see if he was going to order anything.