The expedition (OOC)

Set up your own scenarios here. Creativity is warmly welcomed, so don't hold back.
Forum rules
This forum is strictly In-Character. Please refrain from making any Out-Of-Character (OOC) posts that break the flow and immersion. Create an OOC thread for your Scenario if you need a place to discuss things Out-Of-Character.
Qardin Fal-cona

The expedition (OOC)

Post by Qardin Fal-cona »

THE EXPEDITION (OOC)

Welcome to the "The expedition OOC" thread. If you're a regular here on this thread, you probably came here to check up on the rules again or who's on which ship. If you're new to this RP and you want to join in, read this post first and PM me with your first post, i will approve it to be added to the RP.

1. Briefing
2. Base story Line (how the story line will proceed)
3. Current team
4. Who's on which ship (ES Kuros or ES Koros?)
5. Finar's rules for an awesome RP
6. Side notes

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Where and what (Briefing given by En):

Mission briefing/outline:

System: Empress Teta
Sector: Koro-Teta

Objective: Find the fortress hideout of the ancient Krath warrior Kuros vol’zog.

Bio of Kuros vol’zog (Mostly rumours):
- Wealthy Inhabitant of the planet Empress Teta and one of the first to join the Krath
- Great warrior within the Krath Military between the years 4000 BBY and 3996 BBY where he fell in a heroic last stand against opposing forces.
- Primarily resided within a highly fortified fortress at an undisclosed location on Empress Teta that was said to be filled with a collection of war trophies, holocrons, and other various artifacts from his conquests.
- The fortress has remained untouched since his death, although many archaeological parties have attempted and failed to find it's location in the past.

Threats: The Galactic Empire, local security forces and native fauna.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2. base story line
- outfitting: everyone will get a job ( Guards, card reader (me), culturalist, scientist(optional), 2 pilots, any other ideas?). your job will determine your equipment. there will of course be NPC's, controlled by me or who ever wants to control an NPC, you know the rules.
- Lift-Off
- Attack by Mercenaries: this will change our course towards the planet <------- current
- landing: explains itself, how it will happen will, will be determined by all players.
- events determined by players
- start of the expedition

this is very abstract, because i don't want to spoil anything + the whole story line will be made during the RP, that's what defines an RP, doesn't it? i have a full story line in my head and wrote it out, but it's all up to you, i will try and influence as least as possible.

3. current team

Guards: Mark Smythe, Mandro Fluke, NPC's ( Xer`da Arman`de {1}, Mandro Fluke), non-existent* characters (Qardin Fal-cona)
Card reader: Qardin Fal-Cona
Culturalist: Xer`da Arman`de
Scientist(optional): unexisting character (Qardin)
Pilots: Myrhrai Isalia Rosiir, Correl Freehand
Medical Team: Marclonus Madowki, Vendre To
Engineers: Finar Ambrose

*i added the 'non-existent characters' so there could be more random events implemented. Look at them as not returning characters in movies or series.

Want to join in: What would you see yourself do in this story? just make a post in this thread what you want to be and give all information necesary (your race, what you look like). It makes it easier for the others to make a post concerning yourself. I'll give you clearance and you're ready to go. Also, let me know if you are force-sensitive, could be fun! Next thing you want to do is make you're IC post in the IC thread. Make one that fits in the story! for example:

current situation: travelling in hyperspace.

Bad first post: John paced through the ES Koros. He had noticed that no one had noticed him before. He had been on the ship all the time, before. He even boarded before everyone else. John knew that the reason for it was that he was a quiet man.

Good Post: John had taken his own course through hyperspace. He had received the briefing on his own datapad in his own ship. The JV-7 delta class raced towards it's goal: the planet of Empress Teta.

4. Who's on which ship

ES Kuros
Qardin Fal-Cona
Mark Smythe
Xer`da Arman`de
Dave Zahoff -PILOT-
Mandro Fluke
Correl Freehand -PILOT-

ES Koros
Kal Ordoson -PILOT-
Myrhrai Isalia Rosiir -TURRET perhaps-
Vendre To -PILOT-
Finar Ambrose

5. Finar's rules of an awesome RP

1. Read all posts/respond to all actions accordingly. Often times there are little details or questions that if you read through things really fast you’ll miss.

a. I have seen people miss things because they are in such a hurry to get through and post that they miss important story changing details

2. Do not act for other characters or other people’s NPCs without their express consent. This is called god-modding and can and often is strictly punished. The only exceptions to this are pre-agreed upon by actors and any actions taken by the GM with any character or NPC in an effort to move the RP/story along.

3. Ask questions as needed; ask a lot of questions if needed!

4. Words paint pictures, pictures are the easy way out. Describe ANYTHING of importance. Describe your surroundings, your character’s looks, actions,and feelings, your equipment, and anything that someone might see and you are responsible for. These descriptions need not be super-uber detailed, but there needs to be enough detail so folks know what they’re looking at, and enough detail to interact. If you don’t leave a description then it is not the fault of others if they assume a usual visual for something. i.e. you say you have a relby, if you don’t say that it is black chrome colored with nightsites and someone else posts that they saw the silvery hilt of your gun in your belt, you’ve got no argument. You could talk to them, but it is on you.

5. You need to describe everything you do. If you’re in one room and there is a computer in another room and you post:

a. “Bob goes to the computer and starts to type a message”

you’ve missed out on all the movement between, does your character have a particular style he walks in or wear certain clothes that rustle as he moves? We don’t get anything about your character that way. Perhaps try,

b. “Bob slowly began to shuffle into the other room, his cane clacking on the wooden floorboards as the eldery man made his way to the computer against the far wall. As he neared the computer, Bob leaned his cane against the desk and braced himself against the desktop with one hand while he slowly began to peck a message on the keyboard with the other.”

See how much more detail there is there? Which one seems to be more pleasant to read?

6. You are helping to write a story. Don’t be in such a hurry to get a post up that you just scribble and post. Take your time. Reread/proof your own post, from an outsiders perspective. Pretend you don’t know anything about what your post is trying to say. See if it makes sense to you that way.

7. Grammar/Tense/Spelling: Grammar and Spelling are easy enough to check with something like Microsoft Word Spell Check or another similar tool to check these things. Grammar, spelling, and tense are all just a courtesy to your fellow RPers.

a. Tense: when writing a post it is important to try and keep your entire post in one tense. For me, this is past tense.

i. Bad example: “John walks to the store and bought a gallon of milks. He then marches straight home and put it in the fridge.”

ii. Good example: “John walked to the store and bought a gallon of milk. He then marched straight home and put it in the fridge.”

I hope this is makes sense. Tense can be a bit difficult at time, but it is important for sure!

8. Emotions: We all have real lives outside of our characters, and sometimes things happen in our real lives that can easily be translated into In Character actions. Remember, just because you had a bad day at the office does not mean that all of a sudden your character who up until this point had been relaxing at the bar just got mad for little to know reason that makes sense IC.

a. On the flip side, sometimes in character events might take place that you are unhappy about, i.e. Master Jedi punches your character in the face.
Chances are that your character will not be happy about this and will react accordingly In character, but do not let this slide over to OOC/RL interactions. Just because you are mad at Master Jedi’s actions, does not mean you are mad at the person behind Master Jedi. Keep IC emotions IC and OOC emotions OOC. 

9. Your character is your own. Nobody knows your character like you do. In fact, nobody really knows anything about your character at first; over time people will get to know you character, but they won’t know everything. Your character could have a secret agenda or a hidden trauma in their past that causes them to act the way they do, but only you know that. Nobody else does. So while a GM will attempt to help you keep things IC, it is your responsibility to ensure your character does, says, and is within the boundaries of his character profile at all times.

a. In addition to this, nobody likes a superman-someone who is good at just about everything, has no issues, no shortcoming, no fears, no faults is no fun and chances are that you’re not going to be very well liked as an RPer. You need to be mortal. Take hits from other characters, stick to your skills, and be willing to discuss things OOC without emotions. You are working together to tell a story even if you are enemies IC, and yes sometimes that does mean that you need to loose, whether you like it or not :D

10. Read/reread/write/proof /reread/proof /post-1.Read all other relevant posts, sometimes this is going back several pages. 2. Reread any posts that you are directly involved with, wether it be someone talking to you or your name is mentioned, or you are interacting with someone else’s actions. 3. Write your response in an offsite/offline setting (MS word or something similar) 4. Proof read your post for grammar, spelling, tense, complete sentences, and just to make sure everything makes sense. 5. Reread all applicable previous posts to confirm that you’re not leaving anything important out. 6. Proof read your post once again to make sure everything meshes up and sounds right. 7. Post your reply and wait for people to be impressed!

Remember, your post reflects not just on your character, but on you, the person behind the character. Based on your writing, no matter what the characters do, the quality of the writing will reflect on you.

What almost all of these guidelines boil down to is basic respect; respect for those reading the RP, respect for the others in the RP, and respect for yourself.

6. Side notes

Also check the first post in the IC thread every so often:

http://swc-krath.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 126#p26126

Thanks for participating and enjoy!
Last edited by Qardin Fal-cona on June 4th, 2013, 3:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Myrhrai Isalia Rosiir
Lord Aedile
Lord Aedile

Re: The expedition (OOC)

Post by Myrhrai Isalia Rosiir »

I am interested in an rp, though with my actual rank/position in the navy it makes it hard to do rp right without being overly powerful.
En Sabah Nur

Post by En Sabah Nur »

Myrhrai Isalia Rosiir wrote:I am interested in an rp, though with my actual rank/position in the navy it makes it hard to do rp right without being overly powerful.
Have it as a vacation RP, then nobody can be pulling rank etc.
Qardin Fal-cona

like En Sabah Nur said, a vacation RP, but i wouldn't mind if someone with the highest rank would take the leader's role in the RP. I'd be the "dungeonmaster", sending rancors at you all, muhahahahaha!
Myrhrai Isalia Rosiir
Lord Aedile
Lord Aedile

Post by Myrhrai Isalia Rosiir »

Myrhrai goes off to have the "Nuke it from orbit just to be sure" option added to her flag ship.
Qardin Fal-cona

oh my, what happens when those rancors get radioactive. :p
Mark Smythe

Post by Mark Smythe »

I'd be happy to join in! I haven't been online much lately, so this will force me to get on more :)
Qardin Fal-cona

Nice, does that mean we already have a squad of 3? or do i count En Sabah in as well?

I'll start thinking the map and a bit less abstract storyline through next week.
Corbin Freehand

Post by Corbin Freehand »

What about making it a search for something mysterious while on a vacation type?
Qardin Fal-cona

That's the plan. ;) but i can't promise there won't be any scary suprises. :p